The history of Tipton Community Church in Franklin Township is closely related to the early beginnings of settlements in Lenawee County. In the early nineteenth century this county was essentially a frontier territory which served as home for a number of Indians who were mostly of the Pottawatamie nation.
In 1825 the United States government established the Old Sauk Trail, the Indian trail from Detroit to Chicago, as a military road and it was promptly surveyed and greatly improved. The completion of the Erie Canal in 1825 made water transportation from the Hudson River in New York to Detroit a reality. Thus potential settlers found an easy access to the Michigan frontier through Detroit and westward through Tecumseh, Franklin Township, and other places on toward Chicago, with people stopping near the Chicago—Detroit road whenever they found a place that suited their fancy.
On March 3, 1836, a small Church and Sunday School was organized and named “First Presbyterian Ecclesiastical Society of Franklin, Lenawee County, Michigan.”
A few years after the organizing of the First Presbyterian Church of Franklin many of its congregation became disenchanted with the government of the Presbytery. These people had, for the most part, been familiar with the traditional autonomy common to the Congregational Churches of the East and they resented being told rather than being asked concerning matters such as calling a minister. Nevertheless they discovered that separating from the Presbyterian Church was not quickly accomplished and it was not until about 1848 that the local Church was accepted and became affiliated with the Congregationalists of Michigan. On April 17, 1873, Act Number 371 of the Michigan Legislature provided that the name of the First Presbyterian Ecclesiastical Society should be changed to the First Congregational Church and Society of Franklin Township,
Copyright 2012 Tipton Community Church. All rights reserved.